Fennel and Watermelon Salad
- 1 fresh Fennel Bulb with Fennel fronds attached
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice, plus extra for finishing
- 2 Tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for finishing
- 4 C cubed Watermelon, rinds removed (about 3/4 inch x 3/4 inch dice)
- Kosher Salt and freshly cracked Black Peppercorns, to taste
- Maldon Sea Salt, to taste, for finishing
Prepare the fennel; trim top stalks off, reserving fronds for garnish. Slice bulb in half from top to bottom and open bulb up to reveal the inner core. Carefully cut out the core in each half, slicing out a triangular wedge – this will ensure that the final sliced fennel will fall apart nicely in ribbons. Using a mandoline with a guard, finely slice each half of the bulb from top to bottom. Set sliced fennel into a large mixing bowl; you will have about 4 cups of fennel ribbons. To the bowl add 1 tbsp lime juice, 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and toss gently to evenly coat everything with a thin layer of dressing. Set aside for 5 minutes to let fennel soften and marinate slightly.
To serve, arrange dressed fennel on final serving platter (leave any watery juices in mixing bowl behind). Scatter watermelon cubes evenly over fennel and lightly dress watermelon with squeeze of lime juice, a sprinkling of cracked black pepper and a light pinch of Maldon Salt. Finish the whole salad with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and top with reserved fennel fronds.
Serve with Wok Tossed Hot Wings.