Turmeric Fried Fish & Spiced Pumpkin
Turmeric Fried Fish
- 3 King Fish steaks, bone‐in
- 2 Tbsp ground Turmeric
- Kosher Salt and cracked Black Pepper
- Vegetable Oil or Ghee for shallow frying
- Thai Red Chilies, handful
- 1 bunch Basil, fresh
- 1 Seedless Cucumber, sliced as demonstrated
Using paper towels, pat king fish well to ensure that the flesh is dry. Season with salt and pepper, and
evenly sprinkle both sides of each steak with turmeric.
In a cast iron skillet large enough to fit all 3 steaks, preheat to medium‐high heat with one inch of oil
before adding the king fish steaks. Without turning, fry on one side until a golden crust forms on the
flesh. Then, flip and do the same on the other side while allowing the steaks to cook through;
approximately 3 minutes on each side.
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil or Ghee
- 3 Thai Green Chilies, chopped
- 2 Shallots, diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 cups Pumpkin, seeds removed, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 tsp ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Curry powder
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock or water, plus more as needed
- 1 cup Spinach, chopped into 1cm ribbons
- 1 Tomato, seedless and chopped into small dice
- Kosher Salt and cracked Black Pepper to taste
- 1 bunch Purple Basil
On medium heat using a cast iron pan, sauté the shallot, garlic and 1 green chili in the oil until golden.
Add the pumpkin cubes and spices then sauté for 30 seconds before adding enough vegetable stock or
water to come halfway up the height of the pumpkin.
Reduce heat so that the liquid gently simmers and continue this until the liquid is almost completely
reduced. Add the remaining liquid as needed until the pumpkin if fully cooked.
One the pumpkin is cooked, remove the sauté pan from the heat and add the spinach. Stir gently until
the spinach is just wilted, being careful not to crush the pumpkin. Add the chopped tomato and stir
gently to incorporate into the pumpkin mixture.
To serve, garnish with purple basil and the remaining green chilies, chopped. Serve immediately.